Welcome Yo-Yo Enthusiasts
Middle School students in all grades are welcome to attend the Yo-Yo and Rubik's cube club during lunch each and every Tuesday. You may attend or sit out on any Tuesday as you choose. Certificates awarded during Club awards in April will be presented based on the club signup sheet. If you didn't officially sign up, please let Mr. Colby know so he can add you to the official club list.
Students get their lunch and gather at the picnic tables near the middle school courtyard. Students are welcome to bring their own yo-yo, Rubik's cube, or puzzle, or they may borrow one from Mr. Colby.
We eat lunch together, enjoy each other's company, and practice yo-yo tricks.
Students may choose to compete in a friendly yo-yo competition in the spring. Details of this contest may be found below.
You can begin practicing the fourteen tricks below. Club awards will be held on Thursday, April 23.
Here are the rules for the contest:
1) The contest is completely voluntary, but any Middle School student who is not a past champion may compete.
2) Students will compete individually by performing as many of the tricks (listed below) as they can in two minutes.
3) Mr. Colby will be the timer and judge for the contest.
4) The student who successfully completes the most tricks in two minutes will be declared the winner. In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken by an "around the world" challenge. Tied contestants will perform "around the world" for maximum revolutions while still successfully returning the yo-yo to their hand.
5) You may perform your two minutes during any meeting of Yo-Yo club on or before April 14.
6) The winning contestant will be awarded the Sidekick Yo-Yo shown below.
Here is the list of tricks for the yo-yo contest:
1) sleeper 2) forward pass 3) around the world 4) planet hop 5) basic looping 6) rock the baby 7) walk the dog
8) spaghetti 9) orbit launch 10) bow tie 11) Jamaican flag 12) UFO 13) rocket launch 14) flying trapeze